Kandinsky is a Linux system with a Cent OS Kernel version 5 installed and the following major hardware elements:
- 68 compute nodes, a management node and a backup management node, and a data staging storage system.
- Each compute node has dual AMD Opteron 6134, 2.3 GHz processors (8 cores/CPU, 16 cores/node, 1088 cores/cluster)
- The memory controller supports 4 channel DDR3
- Each compute node has 64 GB DDR3 1333 MHz registered ECC memory (4 GB/core, 4.4 TB/cluster)
- All memory slots are utilized, achieving full memory bandwidth
- Each compute node has 4 x 2 TB disk drives (8TB/node, 544 TB/cluster)
- The management head node also has dual AMD Opteron 6134 processors, 32 GB memory and 500 GB mirrored disk.
- The backup management node has the same configuration as the head node.
- Data staging storage with 36 TB RAID array.
- 20 Gbps InfiniBand Interconnect and 1 Gbps GigE Ethernet management and maintenance network.